suzuki MUSIC program
Student, Parent, and Teacher learn together in the Suzuki Triangle
piano • violin • viola • cello • guitar • flute • harp
CSA’s comprehensive Suzuki program is nationally recognized, with 20 faculty members and 450 students. The Suzuki method is based on the philosophy that every child has the potential to reach a high level of musicianship, and the learning process corresponds to the way a child assimilates language —through listening, imitation, and practice.
Private Lessons- Our Approach:
• Students typically begin between the ages of 4–6.
• Parent takes an initial Suzuki Parent Education course, attends all lessons/classes with the student, and supervises home practice.
• Initial emphasis is on rote learning, position, technique, and tone, prior to introducing note-reading.
• Tuition includes a weekly 30 minute private lesson, along with a required repertoire class (string, guitar, flute students) or musicianship class (piano students). The classes inspire motivation through peer interaction and strengthen musicianship through performance, ear-training, theory, and sight-reading.
• Students participate in concerts, festivals, and recitals held in Conservatory-quality performance venues.
Steps to Enroll:
After submitting registration materials, you will be contacted for placement with a teacher.
1. Observe two lessons. Pre-taped observations available online at csa.wheaton.edu on the Suzuki page.
2. Register- Complete the form on p21 and submit with $35 registration fee.
3. Prepare to purchase/rent an instrument
For piano students, a non-electric piano is
required. String, harp & flute students must be measured by their teacher prior to purchasing/renting an instrument.
4. Purchase the following:
• Suzuki Volume 1 CD + Book
• Nurtured by Love by S. Suzuki
• To Learn with Love by W. Starr
Available at Wheaton College Bookstore
or online booksellers.
5. Take the required Suzuki Parent Education Course $85. Offered Fall semester. Download a registration form at csa.wheaton.edu on the Suzuki page.
Private lessons + group class
30 min/15 weeks | $630*
*A $40/semester Events Fee applies to all private lesson students to cover administrative and production costs of concerts, festivals, and studio recitals
Suzuki Little Stars- An excellent, economical way to begin instrument study! These one-semester classes offer beginning Suzuki lessons in a small group setting (4–6 students). After completion students advance to private lessons.
*Parent attends classes and supervises home practice.
Little Stars: piano (4–6 yrs)
45 min class/15 weeks | $280
WED | 5–5:45 pm | Pierce 115 | Andersen
*TUE | 3:40–4:25 pm | Pierce 311 | Andersen
Little Stars: violin (4–6 yrs)
45 min class/15 weeks | $280
MON | 4:15–5 pm | Pierce 108 | Seaman
*MON | 3:30–4:15 pm | Pierce 108 | Seaman
* fall semester only
Suzuki Workshops: March 14 & 15, 2014
Sessions will focus on ensemble technics, Suzuki repertoire, accompanying, and jazz improvisation.
A concentrated weekend of master classes, group instruction, performances, and musical enrichment.
Is my child ready for Suzuki? - The answer is Yes if s/he is able to:
• Listen attentively to an adult read an age-appropriate book
• Follow short instructions cooperatively
• Stay on-task with a hands-on activity for 15 minutes
CSA recommends preparing your child for private lessons by enrolling them in an Early Childhood Music class. See p 6–7 for the classes we offer.